Fed up of asthma symptoms taking over your life? Find yourself forgetting to take your medicines and struggling to get into routine? Want more asthma confidence and less asthma risk? Our new asthma support programme helps you get control of your symptoms and cuts your risk of an asthma attack in just 12 weeks. And all you need is your smartphone!
Video: Introducing the 12-Week Asthma Support ProgrammeAsthma UK's new 12-Week Asthma Support Programme is a free service for people with asthma living in England.
Transcript for ‘Introducing the 12-week Asthma Support Programme’
0:00 Hello. I’m Tamara, a member of the ‘12-week asthma support programme’ team at Asthma UK.
0:05 Thank you for your interest in the programme.
0:07 This is an exciting new opportunity to get control of your symptoms and cut your risk of an asthma attack in just twelve weeks.
0:14 The programme is built around proven techniques, commonly used in the NHS, to help you think about how you can manage your asthma more effectively.
0:21 We’ll be sharing lots of tips and ideas from healthcare professionals and people with asthma.
0:25 We won’t be telling you what you should or shouldn’t do, we want you to decide what you’d like to do and how you’d like to do it and we’ll be supporting you all the way.
0:33 If you join the programme, you’ll receive 12 weeks of emails and texts with lots of tips and ideas sent straight to your phone.
0:40 You’ll also receive links to specially designed activities to help you make interesting discoveries about yourself and your asthma.
0:47 So, if you’re interested, click on the link below to see if you’re eligible.
- What is the 12-Week Asthma Support Programme?
- Who is it for?
- How to sign up
The 12-Week Asthma Support Programme gives you free, personalised asthma support and advice. Based on guidance provided in the NHS, this programme is designed to help you better understand your asthma, and how it affects you.
It involves 12 weeks of expert advice, activities and tips sent straight to your smartphone. Together these will help you learn more about how you think and feel about your asthma, and boost your asthma confidence.
The programme is designed for people who may find it hard keeping to a routine with their asthma medicines - maybe because of worries about side effects or difficulties fitting them into daily life. If this is you, the programme can help you deal with these concerns, and decide what changes you want to make and stick to. The programme also helps them learn about how they think and feel about their asthma, which means they can make positive changes and feel better overall. So why not give it a try?
In just 10 to 15 minutes each week you can:
- find out more about the role of asthma medications and how to deal with common worries
- gain confidence to stop asthma symptoms taking over your life – so you, your friends and your family worry less
- learn more about your feelings towards your asthma
- help us to improve the programme so even more people with asthma can benefit.
You’ll receive all this in the form of texts and emails. Plus you can also get advice and support from our programme advisers via WhatsApp chat messaging!
To find out if you can join, answer eight simple questions:
You can join the 12-Week Asthma Support Programme if you:
- are aged 18 and over
- live in England (we’re sorry, but the funding for the programme is limited to people in England for the time being)
- have a diagnosis of asthma, but not severe asthma (sometimes called brittle or refractory asthma). We know that people with severe asthma need different support to what this programme offers. We're working on new treatments for people with severe asthma, which you can read about here.)
- have had at least one asthma attack, requiring hospitalisation and/or oral steroid tablets in the last 12 months
- have a smartphone to receive our emails and texts, and take part in the online activities.
Please note: The 12-Week Asthma Support Programme isn’t able to support you with any extra challenges you may be facing due to anxiety or depression. If this is the case, we strongly encourage you to get support and think about joining the programme at a later date.
Mary Poole, 53, signed up to the 12-Week Asthma Support Programme after two sudden asthma attacks ruined her confidence in managing her asthma. Now she’s feeling fully back in control, and asthma no longer rules her life. Read her story.
If you meet the criteria listed above and you’re interested in taking part in the 12-Week Asthma Support Programme, all you need to do is answer eight quick questions to check whether you’re eligible to join.
- If you’re eligible, we’ll sign you up and get you started!
- If you’re not eligible, we’ll let you know why and where you can get further support.
What happens once you've signed up?
Once you’ve signed up, we'll send you a link to a second set of questions. Your answers to these will help us make sure the programme is suited to you. After this, you’ll be ready to get started.
We are setting dates for our 12-Week Asthma Support Programme. Register your interest now!
Thank you for your interest in the 12-Week Asthma Support Programme. Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
The 12-Week Asthma Support Programme does not offer medical advice. If at any point you are concerned about your asthma symptoms or your risk of an asthma attack, we advise visiting a healthcare professional. If you have any medical related asthma questions you can also call our nurse helpline on 0300 222 5800 option 1. If you are experiencing an asthma attack, then seek emergency care immediately if needed.