1 in 20 people with asthma have severe asthma

Your finances when you have severe asthma

Get the support and benefits you need

Anyone with asthma might be able to get financial support depending on their individual situation. We have lots of helpful info and contact details on our financial support page

If you have severe asthma, you may need extra support financially if your diagnosis means:

  • you’re too unwell to work
  • you need lots of time off work because you’re having lots of asthma symptoms and/or asthma attacks
  • you have to go to lots of healthcare appointments
  • you have to spend lots of time in hospital
  • you’re struggling to get around
  • you’re managing other health conditions as well as asthma
  • you need a part-time or full-time carer.

Benefits you could get

Under the Equality Act 2010, a disability is: 'a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term (i.e. has lasted or is likely to last for at least 12 months) adverse effect on a person's ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.'

This means that if you have severe asthma you may be entitled to a wide range of disability-related financial support, including benefits, tax credits, payments, grants and concessions.

The main disability and sickness benefits are:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance

Depending on your circumstances, you might also be able to get:

  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you’re disabled as a result of work. You can find out more about occupational asthma here.
  • Constant Attendance Allowance if you need daily care and attention because of a disability.

You can get more information about all these by:

Other financial support you could get

Disabled Students’ Allowances

A Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) can give you extra financial help if you want to go to university and have an ongoing health condition, such as asthma.

You don’t need to pay it back and the amount you get doesn’t depend on your household income. Instead, it depends on the help you need. A lot of people with asthma don’t realise they may be eligible to apply for a DSA.

Blue Badge Scheme

If you’ve been diagnosed with severe asthma and can’t walk for long distances or use public transport because you have difficulty breathing you may be able to get a Blue Badge. The badge enables holders (drivers or passengers) to park close to where they need to go, free of charge and with no time limit, in disabled bays in streets and car parks. Badge holders can also park on yellow lines for up to three hours, unless a ban on loading or unloading is in force.

Help with travel costs

If your asthma is so severe that it prevents you from walking, you may be entitled to free or discounted bus and rail travel. Find out more here:



If you find it difficult to use public transport and/or you use a wheelchair, it's worth finding out if there are community transport services, such as Dial-a-Ride and Shopmobility, in your area. 

Financial support for carers

If you're caring for somebody with severe asthma, it's important to make sure you're getting the right benefits. The main benefit for carers is Carer’s Allowance. This is a benefit for someone aged 16 or over who spends at least 35 hours a week caring for a person who already gets benefits. You don’t have to live together or be related to the person you care for.

For more advice about benefits and support, call:

Last updated November 2016

Next review due November 2019