On this page:
Want to help us create relevant, motivating health advice for people with asthma? Looking for a flexible volunteer role you can do from home in your own time?
Join the Readers Panel for your chance to help create quality information for the thousands of people with asthma who visit our website and download our booklets. We want you to tell us if our advice is easy to understand, relevant, clear and to the point – and make suggestions about how it can be improved.
How the role works:
- The Advice & Content team emails you content (usually web pages) being developed or reviewed – this might be once or twice a month.
- We set a date to send in your feedback by, and try to give you at least a week. Don’t worry if there are times when you’re too busy to help – just let us know!
- You can send in your feedback by email
- We pull all the feedback together and make changes to the page based on what you’ve told us.
- We update you on the final content so you can see how you’ve helped.
If you’re interested in this role you need to:
- have asthma yourself, or be a carer/parent of someone with asthma, or be a healthcare professional with an interest in asthma
- be able to review items by email and feed back to us by email
- be willing to send in feedback on any items that you can, aiming for at least four items per year
What’s in it for you?
It’s an opportunity to:
- read and review asthma information as it’s being developed
- pick up reviewing and editorial skills
- pass on your knowledge to help other people with asthma manage their asthma well
- be part of a national charity focused on improving the lives of people with asthma
The Advice & Content team supports you with:
- welcome guidelines when you first start
- quarterly email bulletins so you can see how you’ve helped
- personal responses to your feedback
- yearly check-ins to see how you’re enjoying the role
We’re particularly keen to hear from you if…
- you’re a parent/carer of a child with asthma
- you have severe asthma or your child has severe asthma
- you've been diagnosed with asthma in the last 12 months or fewer
- you’re a man with asthma
To join our Readers Panel or if you have any questions, please contact the Supporter Care Team on 0300 222 5800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Would you like to play a vital role in ensuring we have insight and input from people directly affected by asthma into our strategy, plans and key messages? As a member of our Lay Advisory Panel you’ll act as a strategy sounding board for our Senior Leadership Team. We are particularly interested in hearing from people who are newly diagnosed, are parents of young children with asthma or live in Scotland.
The role requires:
- A commitment of two years on the Panel
- That you have asthma yourself, or that you are a carer/parent of someone with asthma
- Participation at the Panel’s meetings at our offices in London, which are held three times a year
- Contact via email and occasional contributions in between meetings
If you would like to advise Asthma UK on key issues affecting our work and to help influence our future plans then please contact Chris Mitchell by email at email@example.com to apply to become a Lay Advisory Panel member.
Interested in helping out with our research? Find out how you can get involved on our Research pages.