We wouldn’t want anything to stand in the way of reaching your goal, so we have put together a set of guidelines which provide you with the best ways to keep you and others safe during your fundraising.
Our guidelines highlight the practical considerations that you will need to be aware of. You may also need to check (event permitting) with your local authority that you’ve got everything covered.
On this page:
Whilst raising money for Asthma UK I will:
- Confirm that I am over the age of 18 - if you are under the age of 18 please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for help and support
- Use my best endeavours to raise money for Asthma UK.
- Not do anything to bring Asthma UK, its volunteers or trustees in to disrepute.
- Show the charity any materials that I produce that bear Asthma UK's name or logo, or that mentions the work of the charity prior to distribution.
- All materials I produce will include the text Registered charity number 802364 include In England and Wales. If fundraising in Scotland, include Registered charity in Scotland SCO39322.
- Not carry out house to house collections.
- Ensure that before collecting in a public place, I'll obtain a licence from the local authority.
- Not collect on private property without first obtaining permission from the owner.
- Obtain a raffle licence from my local authority if holding a raffle over more than one day.
- Not align my fundraising to any political party or candidate.
- Acknowledge that Asthma UK cannot take responsibility for any losses made through my fundraising activity.
- Return any unused fundraising materials to Asthma UK.
- Obtain and pay to Asthma UK all money raised from my fundraising no later than four weeks after my event is finished.
- I understand that Asthma UK may terminate my right to raise funds at any time.
The sky is quite literally the limit when you’re fundraising your way – the wackier the better – but there are certain rules and regulations you need to follow. Here are some important things to help you know your do's from your don'ts and keep your fundraising safe and legal. If you’re still not sure, we’d love to help. Give us a call on 0207 786 5042 .
Taking part in an Asthma UK charity event? You might need to commit to a fundraising target to secure your place. Please remember your place is based on your agreement to reach the target. If you need help reaching your target, please just ask!
Representing Asthma UK
If you’re using materials such as posters or leaflets to promote your fundraising, or preparing a talk on Asthma UK, please get in touch. We can advise you on our brand policy and provide accurate information to support your promotion. We can also send our ‘in aid of’ Asthma UK logo.
Some practical things to be aware of:
- Please remember that Asthma UK cannot accept any liability for loss, damage or injury as a result of your fundraising activity or event.
- You may need insurance to cover your event, such as public liability insurance. You should also check whether you need a special licence. Examples include a public entertainment licence or licence to sell alcohol.
- Door-to-door collections are illegal
- Collections in any public place must be granted by a collector’s licence from the local authority
- To collect donations on private property you must have the permission of the owner
Whether you’re planning a small raffle at an event, or selling tickets for a raffle in the run-up to your fundraising activity, there are important rules to consider. Get in touch to tell us about your raffle so we can share the information you need to keep it safe and legal.
Further guidance can also be found on the Institute of Fundraising website.
Sweepstake competitions can be a fun way to help raise money for Asthma UK, but there are some basic rules that you will need to follow if you are planning on running your own sweepstake:
- All entries must be the same price and the host cannot make a profit.
- If you’re holding your sweepstake in an office, it can only take place in one office where all the participants work. It cannot be held across branches.
- Whether you decide to split the entry money between the winner and Asthma UK, or to buy a separate prize and donate all the entry money to Asthma UK is completely up to you. Whichever you decide to do, the participants of your sweepstake need to be made clear of this before entering.
For more information on the rules of running your own fundraising sweepstake please visit the Gambling Commission website
How do I send my life-changing donation to Asthma UK?
There are a number of ways that you can pay in the money that you have worked so hard to raise. Visit ways to pay in your fundraising to find the most convenient way for you.
How do I set up an online giving page?
Setting up an online giving page at JustGiving is a great idea. Not only is it quick, simple and secure, it’s also easy and will save you lots of time and energy when chasing those pesky donations. Donors can automatically add GiftAid to their donations increasing your total by 25p for every £1 donated. If you need more inspiration we have lots of great advice to help you create your perfect page.
Make your donation even more amazing – Gift Aid it!
Gift Aid is one of the most effective and easiest ways of giving to charity – it’s simply brilliant. The scheme, introduced by the Inland Revenue, allows us to claim an extra 25p for every £1 donated – provided you pay at least that amount in tax and give us permission to claim Gift Aid on your behalf.
For us to claim Gift Aid on the money you have raised or donated to Asthma UK, you need to make sure that everyone who sponsors you completes every section of the sponsorship form and send these completed sponsorship forms to us so that we can add the Gift Aid to your overall total. Without the completed forms we’ll be unable to claim the Gift Aid. If you’d like to know more about Gift Aid and how we can claim it contact us on 0300 222 5800.
How can I share my story?
Whether your story is about asthma or about the amazing things you’ve done to raise funds for Asthma UK we’d love to hear from you. Sharing your story can inspire others to raise life-changing funds to support our work; helping people understand what asthma is and raise awareness of how serious asthma can be. No matter your story, it’s your voice, and we want to hear it. Give us a call on 0207 786 5042 .
How long will it take for my fundraising materials to arrive?
We aim to get your fundraising materials to you as quickly as possible, but in order to keep costs to a minimum we ask you to allow 10 working days from the date you place your order. If you want to check the status of your order simply give the Supporter Care Team a call on 0300 222 5800.