This page sets out the terms on which you may access and make use of our website www.asthma.org.uk. Please read these terms and conditions carefully before you start to use the Site. By using the Site, you agree to these terms and conditions. If you do not agree to these terms and conditions, please do not use the Site.
In these terms and conditions the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(a) References to 'Asthma UK', 'our', 'we' or 'us' are references to Asthma UK described in more detail in the ‘Information about us’ clause below.
(c) References to the ‘terms and conditions’ are references to these terms and conditions as updated or amended from time to time.
(d) References to ‘the Site’ are references to this website: www.asthma.org.uk.
Information about us
www.asthma.org.uk is a site operated by Asthma UK. We are registered in England and Wales under charity number 802364 and in Scotland under SCO39322 and have our registered office at 18 Mansell Street, London E1 8AA.
Accessing the site
If you are under 16 please check with your parent or guardian before using the Site.
Access to the Site is permitted on a temporary basis, and we reserve the right to withdraw or amend the service we provide on the Site without notice (see below). We will not be responsible if for any reason the Site, or any part of the Site, is unavailable at any time or for any period. We do not guarantee that the functions or materials accessible from or contained in the Site will be uninterrupted or error free, that defects will be corrected, or that the Site or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or faults.
Intellectual property rights, copyright and trademarks
We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in the Site, and in the material published on it. All such rights are reserved. You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off the Site or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text. Use of any such materials must not be for commercial purposes without obtaining written consent from us or our licensors.
The names and logos of Asthma UK and all related product and service names, designs marks and slogans are the trade names, service marks or trade marks of Asthma UK and may not be used without the prior consent of Asthma UK.
Linking, embedding and third party services policy
Asthma UK encourages links to the Site where such links would help communicate valuable information to people with asthma, medical professionals, volunteers and other interested parties. It is not necessary to request permission to link to the Site, although we reserve the right to request the removal of any link. The Asthma UK logo may not be used without prior written permission. A link to the Site must not be used to imply Asthma UK endorsement of 3rd party sites, related products or services. Your site must not conflict with the aims of the Asthma UK.
The Site includes links to and embedded content and services from external websites and service providers. We only provide these links to and content and services from sites and services which we believe provide benefit to our users. These links, content and services are provided for your information and benefit. We have no control over the contents or availability of these sites or the quality of services offered through third party service providers. We do not endorse and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. Your use of them is subject to your agreement to their terms and conditions. Any concerns regarding an external link or service should be sent to us in order that we can review the provision of that service.
Donations and payments
Asthma UK reserves the right to vary any fees and the prices of any goods or services listed without notice. Asthma UK reserves the right to refuse to accept any payment or donation and to refuse to supply goods or services to any individual.
Asthma UK will not usually refund any payment or donationalthough these may be granted at the discretion of the charity. To enquire about a refund, please email our Supporter Care Team or call us on 0300 222 5800.
Although the Asthma UK website uses encryption security software in areas where on-line payment details are accepted, the security of information and payments transmitted via the internet cannot be guaranteed. Any loss incurred or sustained by you when transmitting information by means of email or other internet links shall be borne solely and exclusively by you and in no event shall any such loss in whole or in part be borne by Asthma UK or its agents.
At Asthma UK we are confident that you will be happy with the publications you have ordered. However if you have any problems with any of our materials, please email our Supporter Care Team or call us on 0300 222 5800 to discuss returning them, and any potential refund. Any refund would be dependent on the goods being returned unused and in good condition. Please note that when returning an item, the parcel is your responsibility until it reaches us. We recommend that you ask your post office for a proof of posting (free of charge).
Disclaimer and Liability
Material included in this website is for general use only. The content provided is for information purposes only and is in no way intended to be a substitute for medical consultation with a qualified professional.
While all reasonable efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of content, no responsibility can be taken for any error or omission, nor can Asthma UK assume any liability for the content of websites linked to this site.
Asthma UK does not endorse or recommend any of the products mentioned. The opinions expressed are not necessarily a reflection of the views or policies of the charity.
Asthma UK disclaims all warranties and conditions with regard to the materials and any goods or services supplied in relation to the Site, whether express or implied or statutory (including all implied warranties and conditions of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose). In no event shall Asthma UK be liable for any indirect, punitive, special, incidental, or consequential damages whatsoever even if Asthma UK has been advised of the possibility of damages including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profits arising out of or in any way connected with the use or performance of the Site, interruptions or delays to the Site, the provision of or failure to provide services, or for any information, material, goods and services obtained through the Site or otherwise arising out of the use of the Site, whether based on contract, tort or otherwise to the fullest extent permitted by law. Asthma UK will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the Site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
The English courts will have non-exclusive jurisdiction over any claim arising from, or related to, a visit to the Site. These terms and conditions and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with them or their subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
Asthma UK has partnered with Health Unlocked, the social network for health, to offer people with asthma a forum based support network. You can see Health Unlocked’s privacy policies here.
Forum rules of engagement
These house rules help protect users and allow you to get the most out of the forum.
By registering for our website and taking part in the discussions on the forums you agree to:
- Keep your messages civil, tasteful and relevant
- Maintain respect for other people
- Post your message under the relevant thread
- Use only one account to access the message boards - users creating multiple accounts will be suspended
- Be sensitive to the thoughts and feelings of others - something that you may consider acceptable may be offensive to others
- Be aware that protocols for managing asthma and dealing with acute exacerbations may vary vastly, particularly at the severe end of the spectrum- if your protocol is unusual, please exercise caution and judgment in posting about it to avoid giving others the impression that it is safe for them to behave in a similar way
- Read your posts before submitting them to the forum, considering the above point - writing on message boards is different to the spoken word, and a simple written comment may be unintentionally offensive to others
- Be patient and considerate of message board users who may be less able than you
- Avoid using "text speak" in your posts, as this can prove extremely difficult for users with dyslexia to understand
- Remember that boards are read by many different people of different ages and backgrounds; there may be children, the press, MPs and potential charity supporters accessing and reading - please ensure that your message is appropriate for anyone to read.
And you agree not to:
- Use obscenity or insults
- 'Flame' or attack people individually
- Post your message twice under different subtopics
- Publish email addresses, phone numbers, or other contact details in posts
- Allow other people to post to the forum using your account
- Post messages advertising commercial products or services: these will be deleted
- Post messages promoting any product that claims to cure asthma or reduce asthma symptoms. Any such post will be removed immediately by the moderator.
- Use the private messaging service to send multiple copies of the same message
- Post messages merely to tell everyone how ill you are: this is disrespectful to other message board users and goes against the nature of using the message board as a discussion forum
- Post messages to ask for participants for ANY research, be it asthma-related or not: Asthma UK insists on vetting all such requests, and so you should contact them via telephone or e-mail in the first instance
Unlawful, harassing, defamatory, explicit, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable and will be removed.
Information on how to report inappropriate content or behaviour is available here.
Asthma UK's forums are for debate and discussion. Especially, they are not a suitable place to obtain medical advice in an emergency. If you feel unwell or need advice in an emergency situation, help should be obtained from one of the following sources:
- Your local GP service - either your surgery, or, if closed, the local out-of-hours centre; some regions also have NHS Walk-In Centres
- Dialling 999 for an emergency ambulance, or by going to your local Accident & Emergency department.
- Asthma UK's own guidance for what to do in an asthma attack.
Opinions expressed in the forums are users' own, not those of Asthma UK, and are in no way a substitute for medical advice.
To post in the forums you must register for a HealthUnlocked account and supply an email address. Asthma UK will not pass this on to any third party.
If you are under 18
- Get a parent or guardian's permission before posting in the forums
- Remember people on the internet may not be who they say they are
- Do not reveal any personal information about yourself (for example: your telephone number, home address or email address)
- Do not arrange to meet up with people you talk to on the internet
If you have any concerns about posts or users in the forums, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Copyright and editing
Information copyrighted or owned by any individual or entity other than the member should not be posted on the discussion forum without the consent of the owner. You may not violate, plagiarise, or infringe on the rights of third parties including copyright, trademark, trade secret, privacy, personal, publicity, or proprietary rights. If such an event occurs, the individual posting the information shall be held solely responsible. Asthma UK shall not be held responsible for member-posted information that may violate copyright law.
Asthma UK reserves the right to edit or remove a post which does not meet with the criteria outlined above and to ban any member of the forum.
Asthma UK complies with the 1998 Data Protection Act.
Policy last updated: 16 February 2017